One of Returnly's flagship features, Returnly Credit, is now more widely available to our customers! Previously, our customers on Shopify Plus had exclusive access to this functionality. Now (as of August 2021), regardless of what version of Shopify you use, you are now eligible to use Returnly Credit.
What is Returnly Credit?
Returnly Credit is an add-on feature that we offer to Returnly Premium subscribers. Returnly Credit allows shoppers to instantly shop again when making a return. Returnly pays for the new items up front and takes on the product risk, so orders ship right away.
By giving shoppers lightning-quick purchasing power during the return, merchants can exceed their customers expectations while increasing retention and revenue without assuming any risk in regards to shipments/lost or damaged inventory.
Learn more about the feature with our overview article found here.
For speaking points on benefits of Returnly Credit to your shoppers, the different scenarios of Returnly Credit in action, and other Best Practices, check out our Additional Resources section at the bottom of this article.
What are the Requirements?
Returnly Premium (our Annual subscription)
Shopify (no longer limited to just Shopify Plus users)
Stripe Account (learn how to set it up and link it to Returnly here)
How Does it Work?
Returnly Works to Save the Sale
When customers go through the return flow, they start by viewing the item(s) that are eligible for return. Returnly encourages your shoppers to exchange or shop again rather than only requesting a refund in three ways:
- Return for the same item - we allow customers to exchange for the right size or color.
- *Return for a refund (this is where Returnly Credit covers the majority of use cases) - we offer Returnly Credit to shop your store while waiting for their return to be processed.
- Return for something new - we allow shoppers to exchange for a completely different priced product from your Shopify Collections (Returnly Premium feature only).
Orders Are Fulfilled Right Away & Risk is Covered
When an exchange / order is made with Returnly Credit, we place the new order in Shopify in real-time, triggering a confirmation email to the shopper that their order has been placed.
Because the order ships right away, there is inherent risk involved. Risk that the original product doesn't come back, or it gets lost in the mail, or the goods come back worn and damaged. Returnly covers this risk on behalf of you, the merchant.
Other Features Now Available to Shopify Non-Plus Plans
- Allowing for refunding to gift-cards (Merchant flow)
- Allowing gift returns (Shopper flow)
- Gift exchanges (Returnly Premium only) - allows a recipient of a gift to exchange for something else without alerting the original gift giver.
- Automated reminders for unused Returnly Credit.
How Do I Enable It?
If you are an existing Returnly customer and are interested in leveraging this functionality, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
Frequently Asked Questions
We've rounded up a few of the top questions that our merchants have had around Returnly Credit:
- What if a customer does not qualify for Credit?
If a customer does not qualify for Returnly Credit, they will simply get a refund to the original form of payment. Customers who are not eligible for Instant Credit may also be denied an Instant Exchange.
- What happens if a shopper doesn't use their Instant Credit?
If a shopper does not use their instant credit vouchers, they will simply be refunded to their original form of payment.
The customer has from the time their RMA is authorized until the time their RMA is settled to use any available instant credit. We will deactivate the store credit at that time we refund the customer. This will ensure the shopper can not still leverage the instant credit voucher after their processed refund.
- Why doesn't the shopper's Instant Refund match the price of the item they are returning?
If the shopper used a discount on their order, your returns system will show the price paid rather than the value of the item. To keep your discount in place, move through our traditional exchange process (we’ll send you the new item once we have the original) rather than using your Instant Refund to repurchase.
- Can our customers get both instant credit and instant exchange in the same RMA?
No, if a customer facilitates an instant exchange, thay will not also get the instant credit option for any outstanding refund balance.
- Why can’t my customer make an exchange?
There are several reasons why a shopper may not be able to facilitate an exchange, the most common reasons being they are returning an exchange or repurchase, they were denial for being a risky shopper, or the item dose not have an variant available for exchange (no variants at all, or all variants are out of stock.)
- Can my customers exchange an exchange or repurchase?
No, we limit shoppers from going down an endless spiral of exchanges and therefore limits the shopper to one exchange per RMA life cycle. Shopper can however create exchanges for NEW RMAs which many have originated from the same order.
- How can I block a customer from getting instant credit?
Returnly will automatically identify and prevent risky shoppers from receiving Instant Credit, based on their prior shipping/returns behavior.
- What happens to the customer's refund if they don’t use the instant credit?
A customer will be refunded to their original form of payment as long as we can access that payment gateway.
- How to Market Returnly Credit to your Customers (pdf)
- Cash Flow Overview & Scenarios for Returnly Credit (video)
- Webinar Recording: The Power of Returnly Credit (video)