While the majority of Returnly's experiences revolve around a seamless online returns experience, it's important for us to provide merchants and their shopper greater optionality and reduced barriers in how they conduct those returns. With QR Code Returns, we allow for shoppers to have the option to easily switch between a print-at-home label or a printless QR code that they can take to any FedEx or USPS drop-off location. We expand on some of the value below:
- Reduced barrier for returns - Increasing the odds that a shopper follows through with a return.
- Printerless returns. Many shoppers don't have printers, and thus have to go through great lengths to find a way to print those labels.
- A convenient, contactless experience. Shoppers can simply have a FedEx/USPS store associate scan their QR code and complete their packaged drop-off at a variety of FedEx/USPS locations they can choose from.
Requirements & Restrictions
In order for QR Code Returns functionality to appear, you must have Returnly enable it for your account. If it hasn't been enabled, you can reach out to your Onboarding Project Manager, Customer Success Manager, or merchant care team member to get this done. Additional requirements and restrictions are listed below:
- This feature is only available for customers leveraging FedEx (for both FedEx Ground and FedEx Ground Economy (formerly SmartPost) and USPS (Returnly's USPS account) as the shipping carrier and EasyPost as the broker. Learn more about Shipping Carriers and the time it takes to integrate here. Once you understand the process and limitations, you can submit a request to switch to FedEx or USPS using this form.
- The only two fields that are supported are RMA and Order numbers. No barcodes or additional text are currently supported at this time.
- If it's your requirement to have barcodes/additional text/packing slips in addition to the two fields mentioned above, it's recommended that you do not adopt QR Code Returns at this time, as it does NOT currently work with packing slips. We are working on further iterations on QR Code Returns, so those additional fields/features may be supported in the future. We will update this page as they come.
- Only US return shipping is currently supported. At this time, there is no international support.
- The shopper must pack the return item themselves prior to the drop-off. The FedEx/USPS drop-point may not be equipped to accept non-packaged items.
How Does It Work?
Conducting a return with a QR code is simple. Towards the end of a normal return flow, a shopper will now have the option to select between Print & Shop, or the new Scan & Go tab in a new Choose your return option step.
After selecting Scan & Go, the shopper would click on "Click here to find your closest location". This pops up a map and location selector for any FedEx/USPS drop points (FedEx/USPS stores, drop boxes, and other commercial locations that partners with FedEx/USPS to accept packages.)
The shopper then shows up, has the location associate scan the QR code, and take the package. They're done!