- In-Store Returns Flow
When a shopper brings their return in-store, either a Store Manager or a Store Associate will be able to process it through the Returnly In-Store Returns portal which makes processing and review of online orders easy and fast. Managing orders that have been returned across multiple channels is now at in-store staff's fingertips.
The in-store returns journey is guided and convenient. There are three primary segments:
- Start online, drop off in store: Shoppers access a merchant's Returns Center to initiate their return and find the nearest retail store location. Upon arriving at the store, they simply provide their return confirmation number or email address, allow the item to be inspected, and have their refund initiated on the spot.
- Processing the return: When a shopper brings their return in store, a store associate utilizes a dedicated Returnly portal to process the return and initiate a refund.
- Restocking inventory: Merchants are empowered to configure inventory settings -- either to add items back to stock in-store or ship to a preferred warehouse.
Access to In-Store Returns portal first requires that:
1. The Store Manager assigns a Location for the retail store on the merchant's dashboard.
On the merchant's dashboard, access In-Store Returns, Manage Stores, set the Location of the retail store as active and allow in-store returns. If the merchant has different locations, verify that specific location is enabled to accept in-store returns.
Note: The Store Manager session will remain active for 10 minutes after the first successful logged-in attempt.
2. The Owner creates all in-store staff logins (where PINs are randomly generated) and roles.
In-Store Returns Flow
- Now, the Store Manager or the Store Associate can process in-store returns.
- The In-Store Associate enters their 4-digit PIN to log into the portal to initiate an in-store return.
Note: The In-Store Associate session can expire, if inactive for 5 minutes, and PIN code will be requested again.
Start the Return Process
- The Store Associate either asks the shopper for their return confirmation code (if started online) or enters the shopper's order-associated email address to create a new return.
Note: The shopper can use their return confirmation code at any supported retail store configured for In-Store Returns, or provide their order-associated email address if they do not have the code available.
Note: With the shopper's email address, the Store Associates could either continue with the return of an order generated online or create a new return (the latter would only accept returns for orders that were generated through Shopify / Custom integration).
Then, the Store Associate is ready to start a return.
Add Items to the Return
For the "Add Items" step, the associate can then select the items that the shopper brought in-store from the list of returnable items.
Note: If the In-Store return is created with the shopper's email address (and not the RMA code), the Store Associate would be able to manually select items by clicking on "Return something else".
Note: The In-Store returns policy and the online return policy are the same.
Note: If a product is deemed “final sale” or "non-returnable", the return cannot be processed.
Issue the Refund
As the items are added to the return, the Refund Due amount is automatically calculated and includes all relevant information (including if any store credit was used).
Note: The In-Store portal can only accept returns for orders that were generated through Shopify / Custom integration.
- Once the store associate has selected all of the items, he/she can choose to refund to the "Original Payment Method" or "Gift Card" (store credit).
Upon completing the returns flow, the Store Associate will be brought back to the main "Start a Return" screen so that they may assist another shopper. With no activity for 5 minutes, an automatic log out will occur, with PIN authentication again required.
Note: Shoppers will be able to use their issued Returnly Credit in store provided the store has previously enabled that feature.
< Previous: In-Store Returns Overview
> Next: In-Store Returns Instructions for Store Associates