All initiated and submitted RMAs are logged within the Manage Returns section of the Return Manager. Each is categorized/sorted by real-time status within one of the following five (5) tabs. Each tab will reflect a numerical count of the total number of RMAs currently included therein.
Transitions across/between these statuses can be automated or manual, and are driven by key events throughout the lifecycle of an RMA.
Tabs and Statuses
Pending RMA Authorization
- Requested: For merchants who manually authorize RMAs, this is a "holding" status from which a return/exchange can either be authorized (yielding to "Authorized") or canceled (yielding to "Canceled by Merchant"). No label is yet generated at this stage.
Note: The mode of authorization for RMAs is managed by the "Auto-return authorization" setting, which can be configured within the Returns Policy section of the Return Manager.
- Authorized: This is the status yielded where an RMA is either automatically approved or has been approved manually. At this stage, a label has been generated (unless an error was encountered), but has not yet been used to ship product back.
- In Transit: Once a return is shipped using the corresponding label generated by Returnly, and the carrier scans the shipment into their network, this status is yielded.
- Delivered: When a return shipment reaches its destination (i.e. a merchant's warehouse), the shipment will be scanned as "Delivered" by the carrier, subsequently yielding a matching RMA status.
- Green Return Started: For merchants who utilize Returnly Green Returns, this status indicates an RMA where the shopper was exempt from having to physically ship product back, but has not yet been refunded.
- Pending Refund: See our dedicated "Pending Refund" article.
- Refunded: Once an RMA has been processed/settled, with any "Refund Due" amount having been issued to the shopper, this is the "final state" status subsequently yielded. No further action is required for these RMAs.
- Canceled by Merchant: Where an RMA is manually canceled at some point during its lifecycle, this is the status yielded. The shopper is no longer expected to complete a certain action for such RMA.
- Missed Delivery Deadline: See our dedicated "Missed Delivery Deadline" article.
- Refunded Externally: Where a "Pending Refund" RMA has been actioned, this is the "final state" status for an RMA to be transitioned to. No further action should be necessary for any RMA reflective of this status.