- What is it?
- How does it work?
- How do I set up the integration?
- What Returnly Data can Klaviyo use?
What is it?
Klaviyo is a leader in marketing automation. Many businesses use Klaviyo due to its advanced segmentation capabilities as well as its deep integration with Shopify.
Connect Returnly to your Klaviyo account to send more relevant, well–timed email and SMS communications to your customers. More specifically, this integration allows Returnly to pass return information into the Klaviyo platform so that you can create robust customer segmentation and to deliver highly personalized communications to your customers using triggers and logic flows, using properties like return reason and outstanding credit balance.
This integration is available at no additional cost for Returnly customers on our Premium (Annual) plan.
Read our best practice guide for 7 ways to make the most out of your marketing and unlock powerful revenue generating possibilities by integrating Returnly and Klaviyo.
How Does it Work?
If the Returnly <> Klaviyo Integration is set up, you'll be able to use the event data provided by Returnly to customize the following actions:
You'll be able to create powerful workflows that can precisely target your customers so that only they get a particular message at a particular time. Some other use cases include:
Embedding outstanding Credit into your marketing emails & texts
Enticing shoppers who opted for a refund with exclusive discounts
Segment your serial returners with different messages than your non or once-returners.
You can create segments by selecting Lists & Segments on the lefthand menu. On this page, you'll be able to set definitions and logic filters using the data that Returnly pulls in.
Generally, segments are dynamic lists that are refreshed every 15 minutes, so once set, are easy to plug into flows.
Separately, you can create conditional flows with many permutations to satisfy your requirements.
You can also set up triggers based off of conditions and segments.
For more information on how to successfully leverage Klaviyo, please contact Klaviyo support!
How do I Set Up the Integration?
Below are the same steps shown in the video (coming soon) for setting up the integration:
- Start by logging into your Klaviyo instance. Click on your profile at the top-right corner. On the dropdown, click Account.
- On the next page, select the Settings tab, then choose the API Keys sub-tab. You will see a Public API Key available - this is a universal key that can be used with other integrations other than just Returnly. Copy this!
- Switching over to your Returnly dashboard, you'll want to click on Integration Tools, located in the left-hand menu. Select the Partner Integrations tab.
- Toggle it on. When you do, a pop-up appears, asking you to enter the Public API Key / Site ID.
- Paste the key in the field and hit Save. Returnly will automatically validate the key and let you know if the key meets the criteria and is accepted.
That's it! Your Returnly events should now begin sending to Klaviyo!
If you are on a Premium (Annual) plan and would like to leverage the Klaviyo integration, go ahead and give it a try! If you encounter any issues, please reach to our Merchant Care team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Returnly Data can Klaviyo Use?
The Events that Returnly sends to Klaviyo are shown in the table below, supplemented by what data points the events Include, as well as a general Description of each event.
We search for these attributes in the webhook payload and bring these attributes up into top-level arrays to enable segmentation/automation on these attributes within Klaviyo.
"is_exchange": false, "is_gift": false, "is_exempt_from_shipping": false, "sku": ["777", "469"], "product_name": ["DURIF - WRINKLE FREE", "MATTS COOL HAT", "MATTS COOL PANTS"], "return_cause": ["Changed mind", "Damaged", "Changed mind"], "return_sub_cause": ["Too big", "Bad color"], "return_type": ["MAIL", "MAIL", "MAIL"], "return_location": ["201 Mission St Suite #560", "201 Mission St Suite #560", "201 Mission St Suite #560"], "is_ror_or_roe": [false, false, true], //acronyms for "Return of Repurchase or Return of Exchange" "refund_target": ["ORIGINAL", "GIFT_CARD"], "carrier": ["USPS"]
We will include the remainder of our RMA data nested in the payload. These data points can be embedded into email content but cannot be used for segmentation or automation.
- Problem: User sees error "Must match Public API Key / Site ID format" when entering API key in Returnly Dashboard.
- Solution: The likely culprit is that the API token that the merchant entered is incorrect. This can happen if a merchant accidentally copies one of their Klaviyo Private API Keys or accidentally copies an extra, invisible carriage return character that exists at the end of the Klaviyo Public API in the Klaviyo Dashboard. Ensure that the text entered in the field containsexactly 6 characters and contains only letters and numbers. Try copying the key again for Klaviyo, or attempt typing the key into the field exactly as is it displayed in Klaviyo.
- Problem: Merchant wants to disable the Returnly <> Klaviyo integration.
- Solution: Within the Returnly Dashboard, navigate to Integration Tools>Partner Integrations and toggle the Klaviyo integration to Off. With the toggle off, Returnly events will no longer be sent to Klaviyo.