- How to Access the Return Policy
- Auto-return Authorization
- Best Practices
Automatically authorize returns while strengthening your customers' experience.
How to Access the Return Policy
On your Return Manager, visit Return Settings.
- Click the Return Policy tab.
- There, you will be presented with theAuto-return Authorizationsetting.
Use the toggle switch to either enable or disable this setting.
Authorize returns automatically. When disabled, you’ll need to authorize each return manually.
Authorize Returns Automatically
- Each RMA will be automatically authorized after a customer submits a return, and the customer will be issued a shipping label right away.
Authorize Returns Manually
Merchants must authorize the return manually.
A) When Auto-return authorization is disabled.
- The RMAs created by customers would be in the initial status of “Requested" upon submitting the return.
You must manually review and authorize each return by accessing the Manage Returns page, and the Pending tab, where you would select the RMA that needs to be authorized.
- Once authorized, the RMA status will change to Authorized (located on the top right corner of the RMA details page).
- The customer will receive an email when the merchant has manually authorized the RMA with a link to the shipping label to use for the return.
- Once the carrier scans the package, the RMA will show under the In-Transit tab.
B) Authorize RMAs manually for return reasons.
Flagging return reasons so RMAs can be manually authorized.
When you are adding or editing a reason for return, you can also toggle on or off the following option:
- Authorize manually
When that is enabled, you would need to manually review RMAs when items are returned for that specific reason.
In order to do that, you would need to follow the same steps as outlined above, section A.
For further details, consult our dedicated Knowledge Center article on Customizing your Preferred Return Reason Configuration.
C) Tagging a product or order on Shopify
On Shopify, you can add the following tag rtly-manual-review to a product or order.
In order to manually review an RMA, you would need to follow the same steps as outlined above, section A.
For further details, consult our dedicated Knowledge Center article on Setting Up Returnly Tags.
When auto-return authorization is enabled:
Returns and exchanges will be automatically approved.
With merchant notifications enabled and with Auto-Return Authorization disabled, merchants could still receive notifications (via email or in-app) when a new RMA is created and pending authorization.
Having this auto-return authorization enabled allows for automation:
RMA are automatically authorized and shipping labels are generated right away.
Allowing customers to create an RMA automatically based on your Return Policy settings optimizes merchants’ internal workflows.